HOAleader.com provides practical advice on homeowner and condominium association management, laws, rules, insurance, finances, reserves, dues, liens, assessments, dispute resolution, and more.HOAleader.com provides practical advice on homeowner and condominium association management, laws, rules, insurance, finances, reserves, dues, liens, assessments, dispute resolution, and more.
HomeBrowse by TopicDiscussion ForumResearchSearchMember Log-in
Sign up for the FREE
Tip of the Week
Free Newsletter
Discussion Forum
Follow on Twitter
 RSS Feed
New Headlines
Most Popular
Special Reports
Vendor Directory
Join HOAleader.com
Members-Only Home
Group Discounts
Renew Membership
About HOAleader.com
HOA Vendors
Our Guarantee
Text Size
Contact Us
Your Privacy
Published by Plain-English Media, LLC

HOA Financial Matters: When Garnishment Works in Collections

October 9, 2009
Printer-Friendly Format

You might think that once you successfully sue a resident for money owed to your HOA or condo association that the hard work is over. But trying to get paid after winning the judgment is often where the truly hard work begins!

For a new article we spoke to experts and compiled 6 ways you can turn your HOA's official judgment into money in your association's bank account. This week's tip explores just one of those 6 tips: garnishing wages.

"Once you have a judgment, the most typical way to collect is through garnishment," says Kristen L. Rosenbeck, a partner at the Mulcahy Law Firm PC in Phoenix, which represents associations. "You can garnish wages and bank accounts, and we're seeing that if the debtor has a rental in the association, you can garnish the rent."

Garnishment is especially helpful when owners have been foreclosed on or have walked away from their property but are still employed. "A lot of collecting on a judgment is based on each state's laws, which have provisions governing garnishment of wages, accounts, and seizure of property," says Elizabeth White, a shareholder and head of the community associations practice at the law firm of LeClairRyan in Williamsburg, Va.

"If you get a lien against the property, that lien may be wiped out with foreclosure. But if the party has a job or income from another source, you have the ability to garnish that money by following your state's law. There are exemptions and limitations depending on how much the judgment is for and how much you can garnish. Typically, you can garnish only a certain percentage of a debtor's income per month. But the judgment is going to follow the individual person."

Unfortunately, in some states garnishment isn't an option. So as usual, you need to check your state and local laws to find out if garnishment is an option for you.

To read more about how to get paid after your HOA recieves a court judgment, see our new article.

Best regards,
Matt Humphrey

Printer-Friendly Format
·  HOA Financial Matters: How to Get Paid After You've Received a Court Judgment

 Free White Papers

HOA Finances:
Best Practices for Getting Your Homeowners Association through Difficult Economic Times

Download now »

Advertising Information
Dispute Resolution
Facilities & Maintenance
Financial Matters
HOA Elections
HOA Governance
HOA Insurance
HOA Reserves
HOA Rules
Human Resources
Legal Compliance
Security & Safety
HOA Glossary
Complete Topic List

 Discussion Forum
Recent Forum Posts
· HOA responsibility for water hammer
· Public disclosure of delinquent fee condo owners
· Members-At-Large
· HOAleader.com on-demand webinars
· election of board
· Lawyer's fee
· HELP We are past our rejuvenation period
· Licensed Contractors And Workman's Compensation
· Counting Election Results
· Liability Umbrella Policy for HOA
· Parking Violation
· Who Pays For What In A Condominium?
· Common Area
· HO-6 Homeowner's Insurance
· HOA Board President
Search Discussion


Here's what our readers
are saying ...


"Your news and ideas have been a Godsend and so helpful, you can't imagine... Thanks for everything."

Saundra Ragona
Quail Ridge Owners' Association

"We really appreciate your publication. It's as if you had a spy at our meetings and over hear our gripes :). Keep up the good work."

Cynthia Ramnarace
Palmer's Landing HOA

"This is a great service."

Mark R. Benson
Past Chairman of the Florida Community Association Living Study Council
Past Member of the Regulatory Council of Community Association Managers
Past Vice-Chairman of the Advisory Council on Condominiums County Court Mediator

"I am a newly elect President of a small (10 units) HOA / Condo, and I am learning the business almost from scratch ... Thanks for your very valuable information."

Volodymyr (Vlad) Boryshpolov
1102 Avenue X HOA

"Thanks for all your great HOA tips! I am a new Board Secretary—your site is truly worth signing up for!"

Kathie Norris
Whispering Pines West HOA